· Jazz music tends to swing. The upbeat and downbeat of jazz are equally important
· Jazz music was that was able to capture the entire worlds culture
· Its roots are deeply woven in West Africa
· The stew of music that became jazz began when Africans were brought to America through slavery
· The most influential instrument was the banjo
· Buddy bolden became the music’s first authentic legend. Louis Armstrong was the father of jazz.
· Louis Armstrong consolidated all aspects of jazz before he came on the music scene
· Martin anticipated swing era
· New Orleans red lights district-jazz was big part of social upheaval of roaring 20s-armstrong studied oliver-dixieland brought new element of jazz
· In 1920s Chicago was hub for new music
· Jelly Roll Morton came east to perform in Chicago and Detroit.
· Creative people fled to Harlem, a hub for talent and nightlife
· The Ellington orchestra became synonymous with black culture in Harlem
· Kansas local scene–pete johnson, led to boogie woogie, which led to a craze in the 1940s
· Mary Lou Williams would become one of the first leading ladies of modern jazz
· Jazz was the soundtrack for a night out in Harlem
· Jazz was one of the highest forms of entertainment & considered a refined art style.