What is Techno?
Techno is a form of electronic dance music that made an appearance in the Detroit music scene in the 1980s.
- Techno mostly features electronic instruments, consisting of drum machines, multi-track mixers, samplers, and computer.
- includes drum rhythms, usually with a 4/4 time signature.
- Tempos range from 120-150 beats per minute (bpm)
- Emphasis on polyrhythym
- Complex layering of rhythmic patterns
- Emphasis on the back beat (second or foruth beats of a measure)
What makes Techno Music?
Origin of Techno
Techno music originated in Detroit, Michigan and it is associated with a more broad background of the city’s electronic music culture. Detroit’s musical associations with Motown, disco, and black clubs and radio ensures that the characteristics seen in other forms of African American music will be heard in techno.