D’yasia Ford, Lindani Maphenduka, Sydney Lampkins, Elyse Robinson
Characteristics of New Jack Swing
- Samples: The usage of classic funk and soul samples was crucial since it gave the musical genre its personality. By sampling numerous songs, its main objective was to develop original concepts and new swing beat musical genres. Early New Jack swing musicians favored the E-mu SP-12000 ( drum machine sampler)
- Group Vocals. The use of group voices often gave the style of music texture and flair. For example, Boys II Men, whom was a late 80s vocal harmony group.
- Drumbeats: New jack music was centered on a pulsating rhythm played in either 4/4 or 12/8 time to represent the swinging beat style. In order to help generate the sound of many beats during that time, the producers of New Jack Swing frequently used Roland TR- 808 drum machines.
- Danceable: Because of the inventiveness of the beats, they frequently used synth bass to create sing-along tunes. This was a well-liked feature that produced hits like Wreck-N-Effect – New Jack Swing, which helped influence the genre of music.
Teddy Riley and The Guy
- Teddy Riley is attributed with the creation of the New Jack Swing era. He produced many of the artists of the genre and is said to be the man who introduced the world to what we know as New Swing.
- Guy “Teddy’s Jam” (1988) – This single from the album, Guy, is a prime example of New Swing Jazz. It shows the sound of this style of music. You can hear the clap percussion, keys, and danceable melodies. This song didn’t even need lyrics as the instruments spoke for it.
Artists of The New Jack Swing Era
- Artists like Boyz II Men, Michael Jackson, Bobby Brown, New Edition, Keith Sweat, and were all hits in this genre.
- Michael Jackson noticed and decided to update his style. In 1991 he collaborated with Teddy Riley, dropping his longtime producer Quincy Jones, to release the highest selling New Jack Swing album of all time, Dangerous. 30 million copies sold, MJ’s album included hit song, “Remember the Time.”
- “From his haircut to his attire to his style to his image to his music to his bravado, when you think New Jack Swing, you think Bobby Brown.” Bobby Brown’s album, Don’t be Cruel skyrocketed and embodied the genre of new swing very well. It is arguably one of the greatest albums of the 80’s. It featured the songs, “Every Little Step” and ”My Prerogative.
- New Edition was a male music group of 5 artists, Johnny Gill, Bell Biv Devoe, Ralph Tresvant, and Bobby Brown. Their 1988 album Heartbreak is one of the greatest New Jack Swing albums ever. It’s featured popular songs like, “Can You Stand The Rain” and “If It Isn’t Love.”
Outside of Music
New Jack Swing artists were introduced to new opportunities outside their singing careers, such as TV and movies. For example, Boyz N the Hood was exemplary in showing what the genre had to offer. They were given movie roles and a spot on the movie soundtracks. Artists of swingbeat also made guest appearances on popular TV sitcoms like The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Full House and Family Matters, and even Nike commercials.
Fashion and Style
- In addition to music, New Jack Swing swiftly entered the worlds of film, television, and fashion. Furthermore, it changed the face of the music industry by paving the way for fresh, youthful executives with new perspectives and by making hip-hop more approachable to a broader audience, opening the door for rap’s growing popular appeal.
- The fashion of New Jack Swing played a role in popularizing the genre. From colorful jackets to shiny jewelry New Jack Swing certainly stood out. The attire matched the vibrant, loud sound of the music style. Outfits were multicolored and included baggy clothing. There was a mix of high fashion, Colorful blazers, baggy or double-breasted, patterned or button-up shirts, baggy jeans, denim jeans, silver and gold jewelry, parachute pants, oversized tees, windbreakers, overalls, snapbacks, squared or round sunglasses, combat boots, Nikes, Converse, Jordans, vans. snap-back hats, black trainers, checkered cardigans, one shoe & one boot, graffiti jackets, backward jeans, and bow ties
- Angela Hunte-Wisner was the first African American stylist for urban music videos. She coined the term “Alexvanderpool Era” when referring to Boyz II Men’s hip-hop outfits. This included Polo jean shirts, Tommy sweaters, jean shorts, and a tie. A mix of hip-hop and couture.
- From the high-top fades to the new style of dress, New Swing Jack brought new life to the culture.
- Best New Jack Swing Songs: 40 Party Starting Jams (udiscovermusic.com)
- New Jack Swing Music Guide: What Is New Jack Swing? – 2022 – MasterClass